[Tango-L] Red Rover

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Apr 2 12:10:13 EDT 2007

So create a milonga where ushers seat the men and women
separately.  Women will not be likely to mosey on over to the men's
side to ask  in person any of them to dance because it is scary over
there :-),  so they will have to stay put and wait to be asked to
dance and everyone will have a chance to choose without pressure.

I like all kinds of milongas in BsAs, but it is important to not have
expectations that are incongruent with the essence of a particular
milonga.  Many foreign dancers become disappointed with some milongas
in BsAs because they expect that it will be about dancing, but the
core essence is about socializing.  For example, Nino Bien is one
such milonga.  It is a popular place on Thursday evenings.  Argentine
people go there to hang out with friends.  Non-Argentine dancers go
there to dance and so they often feel out-of-tune with the
surrounding.  Also, bigger venues create different possibilities.

But, seriously, if the purpose is dancing, then the milongas where
men and women are seated separately are the best.  The important part
is also that people do not go and seat themselves in a segregated
area.  They are actually escorted, at least the ladies are, to a
table.   It often happens that if a foreign woman arrives alone, the
host of the milonga will find a good place for her, possible with
Argentine women, or a table where she might feel more
comfortable.  People in Argentina are very sensitive to each other.
and milonga organizers in these milongas where people are escorted to
a table, try to place them well in the milonga.

I hope that you get to go to Argentina soon, Fan.

Warm regards,

Nina