[Tango-L] The difference between art and science

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Sep 27 03:34:30 EDT 2006

"Pythagoras spoke the language of Science.
Science may be mostly undiscovered, but will be...
And what there is of it, is fixed.

Tango speaks the language of Art.
Art can never be fully discovered.
Simply because it is not fixed..."

-- Floyd

Well, since we have touched it...

Science as well as art are humane. In most broad sense.
Both deal with natural phenomena, creativity, inventiveness, and
construction of large systems.

Only science is trying to find something most general, independent of any
individual view and experience.

While art is trying to find something most individual. Linked to expression,
feelings, and personal view of one particular person and his school of
followers.

Every phenomena we experience has scientific and artistic part in it.

Neither the science nor art can be fully discovered.
And, of course, they both are discovered gradually once you and the whole
society learns them.

Tango as phenomena has both parts too. At our lessons we mostly learn the
science of Tango. At our dance we apply it to make art. Tango teachers
create tango theories which is the science of tango, and each of them
carries their individual imprint as an artistic vision. As for show dancers,
their technique is the science of tango. Their unique interpretation is an
art of tango. Also they use something else: the science and art of making
influence on people - that what makes their tango performance a show.

Igor.
PS This message supposed to be mailed several hours ago. I have made a
mistake and forgot to e-mail it to the Tango-L. Floyd Baker knows. Can you
believe it!?