[Tango-L] Argentine Tango on Dancing with the Stars

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Thu Sep 21 16:42:40 EDT 2006

JFPaloma at aol.com wrote:

>To WBSmith:
>
>The opinion I expressed at what I saw on Dancing with the Stars  last night
>was not "disdain bordering on intolerance" as you interpreted it  to be but
>simply profound disappointment and bewilderment that a show  with all the money
>and resources at hand could not have made more of an effort  to present good
>Argentine tango.  Naturally, when Dancing with  the Stars presents Argentine
>Tango, we all expect stage tango.   But good stage tango, please.

Tango is hard, remember? It takes years of work. The goal of the show is
for a bunch of complete neophytes to look good with very limited
preparation -- that's what makes it a contest and generates the tension
for the show. I'll bet that all the other dancers watching were rolling
their eyes too ("you call that mambo?!") Guess I'm saying the context
shouldn't be forgotten. I'd have been surprised if they'd actually done
something else....

Jeff