[Tango-L] Argentine Tango on Dancing with the Stars

Chris, UK tl2 at chrisjj.com
Thu Sep 21 16:37:00 EDT 2006

WBSmith wrote

> the more people who discover dancing, the more people who will
> come to learn, appreciate, and love our very special tango.

The more people of good taste who believe the grotesque parodies that
these shows present as Argentine Tango, the more will decide to steer well
clear of it.

Here, public awareness of social dance is so scant that for a guy to
reveal at say a party that he was a tango dancer was likely to get him
mistaken for (ironically) gay. That was before these shows aired. Since
they aired, he is much more likely to be mistaken for a complete asshole.

On the subject of which, tango people around here have been wondering who
were the couple Vincent & Flavia who won the UK pre-championship for the
Bs As IV Campeonato Mundial de Baile. It seems no-one had heard of them or
ever seen them dancing in the milongas. Mystery solved. They are stars of
the UK version of "Dancing with the Stars":

 http://www.flashbuilder.net/host/rumbatango/video.mpg
 http://www.rumbatango.com/

Now WB, I wonder how you'd feel if US Argentine Tango was represented at
world level by the winners of US Dancing with the Stars...

Chris