[Tango-L] Beginner to Intermediate

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 16 11:10:14 EDT 2006

--- Brian Dunn <brian at danceoftheheart.com> wrote:

> By requiring people to find partners themselves, we may
> lose some students
> in those classes as a result, but it's more than worth
> it.

Hi Brian,

We did the same thing here when we were concerned
(recruiting people privately, if necessary) and that worked
pretty well.  However, I like to give people the
opportunity to pleasantly surprise me, which happened at
our last workshop with one young man.  So what has become a
rule (and accepted in our community) is that those unable
to keep up with the class are expected to drop out of the
rotation.  If they are not willing to simply watch, if
necessary, then they are not allowed in.

Telling people this upfront when they register prevents
sore feelings when the advanced dancers start pairing off
with only each other.  The advanced dancers already know
it's okay not to rotate, so everyone ends up happy.  People
find it informative just to watch the advanced dancers
work.

Now, I am less inclined to specify "couples only" workshops
because this standard has been set.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm