[Tango-L] Beginner to Intermediate

Club~Tango*La Dolce Vita~ dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Fri Sep 8 07:24:41 EDT 2006

Ciao Brian / List,

Yes, I've experienced the same problem at CITA. I remember a few years ago I changed partners only to be stuck with a real numptie. The woman was (and she admitted it) a beginner! This was an 'advanced' class! A year or so later, a similar situation occurred when 'Masterclasses' and 'Professional Classes' were introduced. There were people enrolled for these levels who hardly knew the basics! It was awful to be stuck with one.

It's a difficult one to sort out as there are pros and cons either way. If you have to turn up with a pre-arranged partner as in the Gustavo week-long seminar (I've taken his seminars on two occasions - past two years), then invariably if you don't have someone you know, it's pot-luck in both who and what *actual* level of partner you'll get if you advertise for someone.

As far as CITA is concerned, it's a difficult situation. It's a big and costly event and so the costs have to be covered. This is a real consideration. Therefore, to have a pre-arranged partner may well effect a loss of income for the event and perhaps stop the thing taking place in the future. However, on changing partners in a class, an advanced dancer may well end up stuck with a numptie (as I was on numerous occasions - see above). Trouble also is that sometimes a teacher will call for a change of partners but forget to do so again! Thus, a person may be in real trouble not being able to change from the bag of potatoes he/she may have become landed with on the first change.

The other thing is that these useless wonders are often the vocal ones who constantly complain that you're doing it wrong, and when the teacher comes around it is they (the useless entities) that are corrected while you get a pat on the back! It's GREAT when this happens. Generally, though, if I'm stuck with someone who's a nice and friendly person, I'll try and continue with them and see what happens (I NEVER correct them myself). If, however, they've just arrived from the denizens of hell, or they have b.o. or something.... then I'll make a hasty getaway!

Best regards

Dani