[Tango-L] Beginner-Intermediate

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 7 18:44:34 EDT 2006

_"Personally, I would not teach anything beyond the most basic of tango
movements to anyone until they have acquired some skill and dexterity with
the basics. However, people do get bored and discouraged when struggling to
master something as simple as a weight change like a corte or arrepentida.
However, they seem to enjoy struggling with (and totally mauling) things
such as back sacadas, ganchos, enrosques, volcadas, etc. "  Manuel_

It is obvious that there is a great disparity between different people when
it comes to learning tango. Age at the time starting to learn and dedication
play a big role in this respect. There are some that practice at home during
the week and there are those that only work during classes and practica and
then forget everything from one week to the next.

Some are very slow and others are very fast to learn . The slow adult/old
student does not mind to repeat again and again doing the same exercises as
they slowly progress in their ability to dance.

On the other hand, the young student learns very rapidly and gets bored if
he is obligated to repeat again and again the same moves and exercises.

I am persuaded then that the instruction should be "personalized" to some
extent.

There should be a general class for the whole group, an instructor for the
new or slower learner and a special dedication to those that learn faster.

The instructor should walk around the room "adding" elements to whatever a
particular couple has mastered and is doing well; the same as he corrects
the other couples that exhibit some degree of difficulty.

As I said before there may be as many instructional techniques as there are
teachers.

Best regards, Sergio