[Tango-L] Beginners - Intermediate ???

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Thu Sep 7 15:30:52 EDT 2006

I have seen many people who dance or expect back sacadas, volcadas,
colgadas, infinite boleos, but they are not able do dance simple steps.

They do not feel them. They do not understand them. They even do not collect
their feet in ochos !!!

What level they are dancing on?

This is not a level. These are different styles.

A lot of people dance greatly with very simple steps. I would never call
them beginners.
If you know how to dance, you have mastered the dance. Period.

Everything else is extra, or belongs to another style.

There are styles in tango. There are many of them, and there are beginner,
intermediate, and advanced level in all of them, and they are all different.
And equal. Every teacher mentioning levels must say explicitly what style
they will work in. That is this what is a greatest source of confusion with
a lesson attendees which is discussed in this thread.

Do not tell me that a person who claims that molinete belongs to a beginner
level, is an advanced dancer of salon or orillero or apilado styles of
dancing. No way !!!! And evidence just supports it.

Igor.