[Tango-L] Beginner to Intermediate

Tom Stermitz stermitz at tango.org
Thu Sep 7 12:48:10 EDT 2006

What vanity and pseudo-self-esteem these people have!? "Oh, I just
want to challenge myself" What about the other people in class?

This is a problem all over. Many teachers or workshop organizers are
unable or unwilling to set levels or enforce levels. It gets so bad
sometimes that you have intermediates who can't do ochos learning
volcadas or ganchos in a class labeled advanced.

Some teachers welcome anybody into an advanced class or workshop
under the philosophy that people can learn fancy steps and build up
technique later. I think they are just trying to build attendance,
without any concern for the quality of learning for the individual or
the other students.

I'm of the opposite philosophy, i.e. that with good technique you can
easily learn fancier steps, and reversing the order embeds bad habits
that slow down your progress. We've all seen women who don't have
balance and can't even do an ochos smoothly being thrased through the
tango turn. They're just learning that thrashing is a lead for the turn.

If you layer the learning process properly (strategically), then
people progress more quickly and feel more successful at each
stage... this boosts retention at each stage.

How about introducing the idea of "Advanced-Beginner"?

"This is an intermediate class. Please be aware that there is a large
gap between Beginner and Intermediate. In this class we assume you
ALREADY know ochos and och-cortados. Those are topics we cover in our
Adv-Beginner series".

"For those of you who have been doing beginner tango for 4 or 8 weeks
and are ready to move on. Please join our "Advanced Beginner
Progressive Series". This is not a drop-in course. In this eight week
series we will review and develop ocho cortados and ochos."

The idea is that people should spend a month or two in beginner and
two months at adv-beginner. Those exceptions can be bumped to adv-
beginner to pick up vocabulary, instead of intermediate where they
frustrate everybody else.

Sometimes your beginner series is mostly about learning to walk and
basic lead-follow.  Upgrade your beginner class to include
improvisation, musicality, phrasing and rhythms, and then it won't be
so boring. When I visit a new community (or when I get students from
other teachers who don't teach musicality) I discover that many
Intermediates know quite a bit of vocabulary, but aren't very good at
rhythm and musical phrasing. These are topics I cover in my brand-new
beginner class. Presenting the same topics to Intermediates actually
creates a challenging and interesting class.