[Tango-L] Beginner to Intermediate

Michael tangomaniac at cavtel.net
Thu Sep 7 09:55:57 EDT 2006

Mary:
When I attended last year's Denver tango festival over the
Memorial Day weekend,
Alex Krebs showed the intermediate class what he was going
to teach. He then said "Since this is an intermediate class,
I expect that you already know how to execute a molinete. I
don't have time to cover it in this class." I've rarely seen
a teacher be so blunt in his expectations.

When a student realizes a class is out of reach, that might
send a lesson that the person isn't at the intermediate
level. However, dancers who always blame their partner for
problems will never realize this.

The only way a teacher can send a message is to tell the
student "you don't have sufficient balance, you're not
collecting your weight" etc. That's the only diplomatic way
a teacher can say "this class is beyond your skill level."

Michael Ditkoff
Washington, DC
Still recuperating from a car collision that sprained my
ankle. The only pain is not being able to dance well.

> When someone who does not yet belong at an intermediate
level class  shows up at one, has anyone out there found a
diplomatic way to deal with the situation?

Mary

I'd rather be dancing Argentine Tango