[Tango-L] New indoor smoking law in Buenos Aires

Dani Iannarelli dani at tango-la-dolce-vita.eu
Sun Sep 3 12:11:34 EDT 2006

Hola Janis / everyone,

The same legislation was applied here in Scotland in March of this year,
and a year previously in Eire (the Republic of Ireland). Prior to this,
there was huge consternation about the possible implications and
consequences of such a law, such as that people will stop going to
pubs/clubs/restaurants etc and simply drink and smoke at home (that's
fine by me!) with, consequently, the pubs etc losing custom.

A survey was recently conducted however, by - guess who - yes, the
licensed trade association or whatever it's called. The results showed
that the majority (about 65%, I think) of these establishments suffered
loss of trade as a result of the new legislation. However, they did not
draw attention to the fact that the survey sample drew back only 20%
(!!!) in completed returns! So-o-o-o-o... the actual figure of 65% was
only of 20% of establishments!
Consider this...

i.   Those who are vehemently against any such legislation tend,
generally, to be the most outspoken and irate anyway;
ii.  Those who suffer no problems in loss of custom/profit will not even
bother to fill in such a form as they'll see it as unnecessary;
iii.  Those who DO (or 'say' they do) suffer problems in loss of
custom/profit would most definitely (as it's in their vested interest)
complete such a survey. Therefore, if 80% did not bother to complete the

      survey, it surely must indicate that there is virtually no problem
appreciated within that 80%, and any unhappy establishments would be
very much at a minimum.
iv.  Many of the 65% would probably have lied anyway in order to 'cook'
the figures for their own gain!

Realistically, taking these points into consideration, the natural
conclusion would be that the MAJORITY (combining the 35% of the 20%,
with the majority - perhaps 90+% of the 80%) suffer no problems in loss
of revenue whatsoever.

The idea that business will be affected is a red-herring put out by
those with no concept about public healthcare, those with perhaps a
vested interest in some other aspect/angle, those establishment owners
who are just worried through ignorance, those with an anarchic streak
against any legislative imposition.

I think it's great as I'm a lifelong non-smoker who has to put up with
the lack of consideration of the filthy hordes who do smoke. I visit
BsAs for tango on an annual basis and have been doing so for the past 9
years. For a non-smoker, one of the most terrible things about going to
milongas (even internet cafes!) is that a great many people smoke in
BsAs and don't give a damn about non-smokers. Two of the worst venues
I've encountered were Sutherland Club and Centro Leonesa (Nino Bien).
Although in the latter there are fans distributed around the venue, all
they do is circulate the smoke. In both places, as in others too, the
tables are pretty much tightly knit together (often in corners/areas in
which air circulation is very restricted) and so smokers in one table
certainly affect the non-smokers in an adjacent table.

Do the smokers care? Does the establishment care? No. I'm sure, though,
smokers would have something to say about people farting in their
company. It's just as offensive, although less dangerous (in some cases,
anyway). Perhaps now, smokers and establishments will be forced to care.

Again, I think it's GREAT! I'm certainly looking forward to my next trip
to BsAs in March 2007. Think of those lovely smoke-free milongas! Great
stuff!

Regards

Dani ~

'El Zorro de Tango' :-):-):-)