[Tango-L] Chris Everett on Steak, and La Viruta.

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Nov 29 14:58:16 EST 2006

Beg to differ with Christopher Everett's opinions on steak, and La
Viruta. You do not have to be flush with cash to enjoy ojo de bife, or
medallon de lomo. To avoid the overcooking problem, which is the way
they assume all tourists want it, You just have to know the word
"jugoso" which means rare, but more literally "juicy".  Look the waiter
in the eye and repeat, as necessary, that word, until he nods in
agreement.   Refuse his offer of "punto-jugoso", which is more medium
than rare.  It helps if your salivation is evident as you utter the word
jugoso.   Most good local parillas do an estimable job for about 14
pesos, but for an outstanding experience, try this at the excellent La
Cabrera, in Palermo, walking distance to Canning and Viruta.   Not only
will you get the juiciest, most succulent cuts of sirloin or tenderloin
you ever tasted in you life, with the interior buttery soft like sashimi
that melts in your mouth, but you will get many tasty side tapas and
pates included, all for about 30 pesos ($10-12 USD).  The most expensive
steakhouse in BA, Cabana Los Lilas in Puerto Madeira, is twice the
price, 55-60 pesos,  for meat that is marginally better, maybe 5 or 10%
better.   Cabrera's sweetbreads (corrazon?) and morcillas are also the
best.   Jake, "good quality" is an understatement.  I was  pesco-vegan
before my trip to BA, and I am one after, but once there,  I sinned
mightily, and daily.  Those cows spend all day munching on tall pampas
grasses, and I dont  think the rancheros can afford pesticides,
antibiotics, or growth hormones to give their cows. They also do not age
beef, like here in the US.   Maybe the closest you could come to this
quality in DC is Kobe beef.
Now, it is important to walk/dance  off such a repast,  so walk  to
Canning, especially  if  parakultural night, then  at 3 or 4 am  walk
to la viruta.  It aint just "young people", as if there was something
wrong with that.  You will see fine dancers of all ages, a wonderful
chacarera break around 4:30,  terrific fresh rolls, pastries  juice,
coffee at  around 5am.  And, as the lights turn blue and low for that
last tanda around 6, and the music intensifies and merges into a very
rhythmic cumparsita, choose you partner very carefully... .    Anyone
who says to avoid this experience has no detectable pulse.
Martin