[Tango-L] Community Expansion Brainstorming

Barbara Garvey barbara at tangobar-productions.com
Wed Nov 29 13:31:27 EST 2006

On one of his two appearances in San Francisco, Piazzolla gave a lecture
that Al and I went to. He said specifically that his music was not for
dancing. He did not say it was not tango. He did not reconcile this
statement with "Maria de Buenos Aires" or other music he wrote for tango
dancers. He did like to "epater la bourgeoisie" as well as being
clearly  not interested in tango-dance.

Many of the folks on this List seem to equate Tango (capital T) with
tango-dance exclusively; in fact tango music, in its
non-usually-danced-to variations as well as bailable, has an enormously
greater appreciation base than tango-dance. I am one of the
fuddy-duddies who think that tango is best danced to tango music of the
bailable type, which doesn't exclude appreciation of non-dance oriented
tango music from Gardel to Piazzolla, electronic, whatever, depending
on  musical quality. As some make distinctions between Pugliese (early,
middle, late??) and  D'Arienzo, there are, as well,  many  degrees of
danceablity, as there are many styles of dance, from strict club rythm
to salon to fantasia to ballet or contemporary dance form.

Tom's comparison to jazz, some written for dancing, some for listening,
is right-on, of course.

Barbara