[Tango-L] Hucks theorem #1, Jake's Steno pad.

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:05:28 EST 2006

Several points/questions:

1:
Need some clarification to understand your notation, Jeff.

[correct me if I'm wrong]
     Direction is noted by position on a clock face that is oriented as if
the clock were attached to the dancer's chest/torso/shoulders.
     If a dancer is facing a north wall, with no twist/dissociation, so that
his chest/torso and his hips all face the north wall, then a step to
direction 12 will be straight forward towards the north wall.
     If the dancer twists his torso 90deg CC so that his torgo faces the
west wall, keeping his hips facing the north wall, then a (left) step to
direction 12 will be a step with his left foot towards the west wall
(basically a "side" step from the perspective of his hips).
[/correct me if I'm wrong]

2:
Comment: your use of "duration" is consistent with the "quick-quick-slow"
terminology. It really refers to the time duration between landing of the
step in question until the Next step lands. An alternative terminology would
be noting the musical count on which the step lands, "1", "1-and", etc. I
personally find the latter more intuitive, and I'm surprised that you as a
musician would not as well. Comment?

3:
I'm not completely satisfied by your description of this step:

"Here might be a suspension as you slowly turn CW
1 : 12 : step left
3 : 3 : twist CW
1 : 12 : shuffle left to right "
-----

My problem with it is: This step pattern requires that the first step left
is not a complete weight change. The trailing right foot is not collected
and retains some weight, so that, after the twist, there is space between
the feet (that is subsequently closed by the "shuffle left to right.")

So how would you denote a "1 : 12 : step left" when the intention is to
fully transfer weight and collect trailing right to beside the left?

     Thanks to you and Jake and Huck and other contributors for an
interesting thread.

           www.TangoMoments.com