[Tango-L] Hucks theorem #1, Jake's Steno pad.

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Tue Nov 28 15:01:35 EST 2006

Huck Wrote:   " Theorem #1:  If you're in the parallel system
and both you and your partner take a step, either
you'll both be taking an open step, or you both
will be taking a closed step.  Likewise, if you're
in the crossed system and you both take a step,
one of you will be taking an open step while the
other will be taking a closed step. Huck"

Sorry Huck, but this theorem is invalid. Either type can be led from
either system, in both close embrace or open embrace, and not just in
the sacada example Jake gave. All it requires is a bit of disassociation
between upper torso, which does the leading, and what your (leaders)legs
do.
Jake,  I just slapped my head so hard for not thinking of something as
ridiculously obvious as that 2-column Steno pad ! Please keep the
notational ideas coming!    Yes indeed, there are people on this list
for whom the most efficient notation is essential to quickly jot down
ideas and concepts we "got" in workshops, or stumbled onto in a
practica, and due to insufficient practice burn-in time, forgot weeks
later, (for me, even hours later.)  I apologize to any followers who
find this discussion boring, or useless, but believe me this is all done
to increase variety and creativity (without sacrificing connection and
musicality- they are not mutually exclusive !)which not only makes tango
so much fun for me, but also increases the fun of the followers I dance
with.
Martin