[Tango-L] Brian and Jake Directional Notation Analysis

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 23 15:45:33 EST 2006

>Hi Manuel!
>

>While this is an interesting discussion, I question the value of developing
>and dwelling in a complicated system of nomenclature. I think that all
>these
>
>things are quite useful and perhaps even invaluable to the advanced (I mean
>"really" advanced) dancer, they are wasted or even an impediment to the
>beginner or even intermediate dancers.
><<<
>
>Well, that's not our experience.  Total beginners get parallel/crossed,
>open/closed side of the embrace, and the "three-step" framework in the
>first
>or second lesson, and tend to jump on it like water in the desert - they
>start using it right away.

Hi Brian,

I must congratulate you on your incredible results. I have not heard those
kinds of results with total beginners since the earlier days of the apilado
style miracle system (-;
Believe me, we've been studying tango from the faguchi trio for many years
and we've been teaching for many years as well. My experience is that there
is no short cut, miracle teaching system that gets total beginners dancing
tango in one or two lessons. With very few notable exceptions, most people
find it difficult to dance tango even after many lessons. Even after taking
lots of lessons from their local teachers and intensive workshops with
Gustavo, Fabian or Chicho, most beginners cannot dance tango very well at
all.

Personally, I've seen people struggle tremendously to master an arrepentida
and a simple walk with weight changes, let alone perform all sorts of Nuevo
Tango excercises like a duck taking to water. While I find this discussion
interesting and provocative in an intellectual sort of way, I still think
it's an excercise in polemics and fairly useless for teaching basic,
traditional social tango. Actually, I think this whole topic is degenerating
into some sort or analyses of tango steps for it's own sake. Personally I
much rather dance with a woman who can follow simple leads smoothly and
feels the tango than with an expert who can recite and diagram every
possible permutation of steps and delights in the mechanical repetition of
colgadas, soltadas, volcadas, ganchos and boleos.

Of course, this is just my opinion and preference. Although I'm a great
admirer of Gustavo Naveira, Fabian Salas and Chicho, I make no apology for
my predilection of traditional tango danced to traditional tango music, at
least for social dancing at the milongas. For that, it's not necessary to
develop an entire nomenclature just to describe the position of ones legs
during a salida.....

Sincerely,

Manuel

visit our webpage