[Tango-L] Direction: Pivots & fulcra

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Nov 22 17:02:24 EST 2006

Hi all,

Thanks for the energetic replies and engagements with this topic.

I'm familiar with the "FaGuChi" (as one poster once put it) analysis,
and I find it very helpful. I've also got Mauricio Castro's books, which
catalog things in long, cumbersome descriptions (which, if they have put
both partners' movements on paper, have also regressed to individual
orientation). And I've arrived at the same notation that Jay cited from
his work (except that I shorten CCW to CC). That's all a good start, but
I think we need to go further yet.

To answer Martin-- the thing is, we _do_ use CW and CC to describe the
direction of circular movements. And in most cases that's fine. But when
counter-turns come into play, or if we over-extend (or break) the frame,
then we've got turns within turns. In such cases, the words "the
leader's left" don't have a frame of reference anyone, sometimes for
either partner. But the ghost of the embrace is still there, even if
your back is to it for a moment; and both partners still know where that
frame is. If we index the four sides of the embrace in a more neutral,
universal way, so that both partners understand any point without
pronouns, we'd have a way to clarify and illuminate soltada positions--
and maybe we'd even see new possibilities in familiar movements, without
thinking of them as "deviations."

As Brian pointed out, the "new analysis" anchors things in the couple.
That is what makes it useful.

As Manuel is reminding us, however, there's still a lot of choreography
(strict sense: predetermined sequences) in tango. The molinete is a
prime example. I teach beginners how to lead & follow it as improv, by
showing them how to change the turn-fulcrum in the leader (from axis to
left shoulder to axis to right shoulder), and how to read the difference
as a follower.

If we enlarge that three-fulcrum analysis from the leader's torso to the
couple, and find an "axis" fulcrum between them (the shared axis of a
colgada, for instance), and then a fulcrum each in the leader (molinete
center) and follower (calesita center)-- and THEN if we play round robin
with the fulcra, we arrive at one of those traveling cadena turns, where
the dancers alternate turning around each other. Viewed in this
three-fulcrum way, the thing can be improvised, fragmented, and so
forth, quite freely. (I.e., it can be taught as a naked concept, not as
a stuck sequence.)

Most pivoting movements in tango, of course, use two fulcra
simultaneously, as in the simple molinete. The follower pivots around
her own axis, and travels around the leader's (wherever he locates that
axis in his body). In most ochos, even over-turned ones, the follower
only pivots around her own axis, then steps straight. I've come up with
a couple new, simple patterns by combining these one- and two-fulcrum
concepts (basically, alternating one and two on each half-ocho, while
counterpointing the leader's delayed collection against the full second
half of the follower's ocho). I swear, the movements are quite simple;
it's the language that makes it sound complex.

I'm realizing this post of mine doesn't necessarily have a point, other
than to introduce these items as well-- fulcra and pivots. I have little
use for a directional system that reduces the dance to stepping, and
neither (I suspect) do most followers.

Keep it coming, list-- I'm enjoying this.

Jake Spatz
DC