[Tango-L] Direction: Step descriptors...

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Wed Nov 22 16:53:00 EST 2006

(I'm splintering this thread so we can pursue the various topics that
have arisen, most of which are worth pursuing in detail. Thanks to all
for the energetic responses so far!)

Brian,

Regarding the 3-step system and teaching turns: I understand what you're
saying, but I think it's a classic case of the leader's mistaken
perspective on the follower's dance.

I've found monosyllables wholly undesirable in the case you describe,
not only because tango music has an arrastre "swing" (furrrrr-RONT), but
because there should be a syllable to mark the follower's pivots as well
as her steps. You might clarify matters rhythmically for ALL your
students by using "front," "side," and "back" to denote the direction
not of the step, but of the pivot; and then proceed thus:
    "Front-step-Side-step-Back-step-etc."
(Although, in all honesty, I'd scrap "step" in favor of something that
matches the music better, like "vrrrROOM.")

My leaders & followers both learn, in this way, to acknowledge the pivot
as the expressive equivalent of any step; and this lets them more
consciously & effectively vary their rate of movement from the get-go.

As for the 6-steps or 3-steps debate... I find that the 3-step catalog
is more useful sounding than actually useful. For one, there's a big
difference to both partners whether the follower's "open step" is
towards the leader, away from him, or lateral; and to the follower, it
inaugurates Bad Form if these differences are ignored. (Sidesteps ought
to be very clearly lateral, for instance, and not just some non-crossed
step or other.)

Furthermore, the front- and back-cross steps are not that distinct from
each other: it's just a matter of which direction you're moving in. The
stationary step is more radically different from "open" and "cross"
steps though, and needs more work for all students; so any system of
steps that marginalizes it presents, in my opinion, a glaring flaw.

As for the cross-steps in themselves... Usually the "cross" is taken to
mean that the dancer crosses his or her own body (or standing leg). But
this depends on the orientation of the partners and also on torso-hip
dissociation. Step #1 of the salida can be executed without variation by
the follower, but if I (leading) step to my left instead of straight
back, she's open; if I dodge right, she's crossed. If I do step straight
back, she's NEITHER.

In Luciana's (Fabian's) 3-step system, what's the word for this Neither
step? What's the word for the weight-change?

And let's say I lead my follower to take the salida #2 step _to my
right_, after pivoting her so that her back is facing me. To her, it's
an "open step"? But to me, it's a "cross step," because it has crossed
the central line of the embrace-- i.e., her step has crossed MY body...

Moreover, if you introduce counterpoint walking, then it's possible that
a follower's step extends as an "open" one and collects as a "crossed"
one, because the leader has changed position in the meantime. So these
steps of the follower are really determined, again, by the leader's
perspective. So much for basing things on her. (Sorry for deconstructing
this, and exposing its leader-centrism, in case anyone out there was
attached to it.)

Thus the 3-step system not only fudges matters by ignoring (a) the
stationary weight-change, and (b) the "neither" step (perhaps the most
common one in the dance?), but it (c) falls apart as soon as we get into
an old-fashioned embrace, such as we may find in two consecutive
"promenade" steps.

Furthermore, "open" already refers to a kind of embrace; "cross" is
already the name of a step (or more accurately, a kind of collection
AFTER a step). A new system ought not to duplicate terms like this,
which is one of the major complaints about it, whether you use it or not.

Not that the 6-step system has unique terms, or can handle what I've
described above either... but at least it preserves the difference
between one side of the embrace and the other. Which, given the
asymmetry of the embrace, is rather important.

So, we still have no answers. But I do hope I'm making a better case for
seeking them out.

Jake Spatz
DC