[Tango-L] Brian and Jake Directional Notation Analysis

WHITE 95 R white95r at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 22 14:46:21 EST 2006

While this is an interesting discussion, I question the value of developing
and dwelling in a complicated system of nomenclature. I think that all these
things are quite useful and perhaps even invaluable to the advanced (I mean
"really" advanced) dancer, they are wasted or even an impediment to the
beginner or even intermediate dancers.

Having taken many workshops with Gustavo, Chicho and Fabian, I too became
interested in the subject of positional descriptions. I had the most
problems understanding Chicho's descriptions of "crossed" and "open" steps
as they relate to the leaders position. Eventually I found this to be
interesting and useful but at first, I was mostly lost in the maze of
possibilities and names of steps that Chicho described and discussed as he
moved around Lucia while producing the most elegant and difficult sacadas,
ganchos and boleos with seemingly effortless ease...

It seems that a simple way to describe relative positions of the man and
woman is by alluding to the "open" or 'closed" side of the embrace (left or
right of the man). Alternatively one could establish that "right" and "left"
are the mans right and left sides. As for the denomination of the steps, I
much prefer to use the basic code of the tango which is that the woman
generally dances around the man, and the man dances around the pista.
Furthermore, the woman turns around the man in either direction by using the
grapevine or "molinete" steps (Open, front cross, open, back cross, etc.)

This would theoretically simplify things a good bit, but in reality, even
this concepts prove to be open to argument and might cause confusion. For
instance, the old argument about how to lead the cross step from the 8CB
salida (or even whether it's a led step or not...), we can obviously (?) see
how the code works. The man leads the woman to take an open step her
right... If he stayed in place and turned to his left her next step would
inevitably be (due to the embrace) a back cross followed by an open step,
followed by a front cross step, etc. After the salida, the code requires the
next step to be a "back cross" step, but since the man has moved toward the
woman, her steps appears to be a "back step".. as he keeps moving the next
"open" appears to be another "back step" and the "front cross" step occurs
in line producing the familiar "cross on the 5".....

Now, if one plays around with this and the man moves to different sides of
the woman at each step (you have to stop at each step of course) and
considers in which direction the woman would move next, a big range of
opportunities become available and that particular step could be any of the
three steps available in the grapevine.... Of course, if you try to explain
to a beginner woman that the 3rd and 4th steps of the 8CB are really a "back
cross" and an "open step", you might just produce a big confusion.....

Simplified dancing for all,

Manuel

visit our webpage
www.tango-rio.com