[Tango-L] Brian and Jake Directional Notation Analysis

Nussbaum, Martin mnussbau at law.nyc.gov
Wed Nov 22 13:39:41 EST 2006

This discussion is by far the most interesting I have seen on this list in
ages, and a useful frame of reference for anyone interested in studying with
any of the named superstars in Brian's post.
I have a question for Brian and Jake: why not simply use the term clockwise
and counter-clockwise, not just for the situation where both are turning,
but also for the center and circumference situation described in paragraph 4
of Brian's post ?  If one person is not stepping that must already be noted,
thus anything the partner does at that point can be thought of as part of a
turn around the stationary,  just as would be noted in any other move, and
the clock reference seems to universally apply.   Also, Brian, have you seen
Chico's old video on changes in direction?  I was under the impression he
spoke of it as you did in the first draft of par 4, from the point of
reference of the person in the center of the turn, rather than the leader.
Seems more intuitive to analyze from the center of the turn, as he explains
what is done to shift to a new center at any given point. Please correct me
if Im wrong.
Martin

Brian Wrote:
After re-reading I'd change #4 to be as follows:
4) If one partner is stepping and the other is not, one partner is by
necessity "orbiting" the other, creating a center-and-circumference
situation.  The direction of that turn is commonly referred to as "to the
left" or "to the right" of THE LEADER.  If the leader is in the center, the
follower is going to his left or to his right around him; if the leader is
on the circumference, he is going to his left or to his right around her
while facing her...