[Tango-L] Directional notation - correction

Brian Dunn brian at danceoftheheart.com
Wed Nov 22 08:18:43 EST 2006

Hi Jake again,

Last post, I wrote:

4) If one partner is stepping and the other is not, one partner is by
necessity "orbiting" the other, creating a center-and-circumference
situation.  The direction of that turn is commonly referred to as "to the
left" or "to the right" of whichever partner is in the center.
<<<

After re-reading I'd change #4 to be as follows:
4) If one partner is stepping and the other is not, one partner is by
necessity "orbiting" the other, creating a center-and-circumference
situation.  The direction of that turn is commonly referred to as "to the
left" or "to the right" of THE LEADER.  If the leader is in the center, the
follower is going to his left or to his right around him; if the leader is
on the circumference, he is going to his left or to his right around her
while facing her...

I know you were looking to avoid "left/right" designations, but since the
leader is architecting the dance for the follower, maybe it's still useful
to grant him the convenience of that mental tool in our terminology.
Anyway, she shouldn't have to think about where his left or his right is, IF
his lead is clear - but that, as they say, is another story ;>.

All the best,
Brian Dunn
Dance of the Heart
Boulder, Colorado USA
www.danceoftheheart.com
"Building a Better world, One Tango at a Time"