[Tango-L] Directional notation

Jake Spatz (TangoDC.com) spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue Nov 21 19:12:07 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone out there has found a more useful way to
describe direction in tango, since "left-right" and "forward-backward"
easily become confusing when two dancers are facing each other in the
embrace.

I've heard one teacher use (on occasion) the terms "open-side" and
"closed-side," to refer to those respective sides of the embrace. Those
terms, however, are already used to describe the distance between the
dancers, so they're not that suitable. I've thought of using "hand-side"
and "body-side," but that takes a moment of calculation, and I'd like
something better.

I've also tried using the old salida numbers from time to time-- 2 and
7, for instance, describe consecutive sidesteps-- but they have a very
limited application, and only to parallel-system at that. (There being,
to my knowledge, no cross-system salida.)

Compass points such as North and South don't really work, because each
partner is tempted to consider themselves facing North. Same goes for
the clockface system (which is already used for rotation anyway). (The
compass system may come in handy for describing the couple in relation
to the room, but that's another matter.)

Ideally, I'd like a set of terms that can explain *to both partners
simultaneously* what direction everything's going-- relative to the
couple, but not oriented according to either partner-- during complex or
asymmetrical movements (e.g., overturned back ochos) as well as in
simple ones. I've considered using Spanish terms as well as English, but
that just creates a translation issue and complicates matters for
bilinguals.

Any suggestions appreciated, unless you're one of the schmucks who was
in charge of naming quarks.

Jake Spatz
DC