[Tango-L] Smoking section at a milonga in Buenos Aires

Nina Pesochinsky nina at earthnet.net
Mon Nov 20 19:17:16 EST 2006

Hi, Lucia, Caroline, and everyone on the list,

I think that both of you are correct with your
assessment of the multi-faceted phenomena of tango.

Something has occurred to me as I was reading
these posts.  I suddenly understood, once again,
how brutal we women are.  We get on a public list
of a 1000 people or so, such as this one, and
begin to dissect in abstraction the dance
experiences that we have in regard to the AGES OF MEN that we dance with!!!

If the men did that, we would have been mortally
wounded!  Just imagine what would happen if some
men wrote on this list: "I like dancing with the
ladies in their 50s and 60s, but sometimes it is
boring.  They have arthritis and can't move as
well as they did when they were younger."?!  I am
sure that vivid pictures are passing through your
minds right now about the possible consequences...

Gentlemen, you are real gentlemen because we have
never heard such things from you.   It just
proves that one should never expect gentlemanly behavior from the women!

On another note,  dance and dancers have a lot to
offer.  Men and women who cannot move because of
their age are still able to embrace their
partners. Whjo cares about the age?!  You can
just stand there to the music in a gorgeous
embrace, if nothing else is possible.

On the other hand, if embrace 'like you mean it"
is not possible, then there better be some nice
moves, conversation, something...  There needs to
be something (no tongues in ears, please).  If
there is nothing, then reading a book might be the a much better thing to do.

Basically, we don't dance with abstract
partners.  These are people, unique and very
different from each other.  Their skills and
limitations are both a part of the experience and
we choose to share that experience with them voluntarily.

I propose that we choose people as the most
important part of the experience, and not
sacrifice them to what we have in our heads as a "good' dance experience.

Warmest regards to all,

Nina