[Tango-L] Overtraining at Practicas

Igor Polk ipolk at virtuar.com
Wed Nov 15 13:51:16 EST 2006

With respect,
I do not think that dividing Tango dance into "Social" and "Stage" styles
makes much sense.

Stage performance incorporates all available means to achieve a certain
goal. It includes many means which are not necessary at social gatherings
and seems to me not practiced at Alternative milongas either. I did not see
it.
Those "half of which are professionals" dance professionally, "Stage" so to
speak in your terms at traditional milongas.

Here and there, they dance 2 styles: one style more traditional, of 40s, may
be, with small steps and with a lot of creative freedom. And it helps to
make nuevo styles better too. Another one - or others - new styles, Nuevo,
Neo, whatever, which are greatly enjoyable by well trained dancers at their
social gatherings and yes, requires a little more space.

At all these extreme type of milongas there is certain atmosphere which
calls for a certain style.

Igor.
PS.
Are good open salon styles danced somewhere? Ah?
PSS
No kidding, I am listening to 1930s D'Arinezo writing this message. What a
great rhythm! Can not sit any more....
I would dance to this music in a certain style not mentioned here so far..