[Tango-L] Off to BsAs again!

Lois Donnay donnay at donnay.net
Fri Nov 10 14:21:22 EST 2006

I am leaving with my group of students for BsAs soon. We have quite a group
of people from MN who are going to BsAs regularly, which I find to be a
great testament to our community here. People here have good enough
instruction so they can have a great time dancing there!

Every once in a while I'll meet a person, usually from one of the coasts,
who has taken years of tango and is quite talented. The problem is, they
can't dance when they get closer than 6 inches to their partner. One
gentleman told me that he hasn't been able to find a teacher in Los Angeles
who can teach closer dancing. He had a similar problem in New York. So, he
has to travel to Minnesota to get lessons from me in close embrace?!?!

I have this problem when I go to Buenos Aires with my group - finding good,
bilingual teachers who are actually interested in teaching social tango, not
only interested in showing off how well they dance. (I do like Daniel
Lapidula's teaching) Here in the U.S, I much prefer instructors who are from
the U.S, and who have also have danced extensively in BsAs. First of all,
they can relate to their fellow U.S. students culturally and with a shared
native language. (If you don't think that's important, just look at how many
Argentines have left this list because of a communication misunderstanding.)

Lois Donnay
Minneapolis, MN