[Tango-L] Teaching and learning tango

Sergio Vandekier sergiovandekier990 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 7 00:40:58 EST 2006

Brian Dunn wrote:

"Janis wrote:
"There had to be someone teaching tango in Buenos Aires before the late
1980s."

Yet more data -
"At the time of the revolution [of tango dancing in the 1940's], Mingo
[Pugliese] points out, few milongueros were professional. Cachafaz and Ain
had given lessons in the 1920's, [and] Mendez and El Negro Pavura ran
studios..."
"Tango - The Art History of Love" - R.F. Thompson, pp. 249-250

Before the sixties tango was taught mostly within the family. It was
transmitted from parents to children, from older to younger siblings, or
else you could learn from your uncles or your cousins.

Then you could start practicing in family gatherings or parties,
engagements, weddings, baptisms, birthdays, etc.

Later on, boys would teach each other playing both roles (man and woman) so
that they could learn to dance but also to lead.  Leading has always being
the most difficult thing to learn.

During weekends they would go to dance to the neighborhood clubs, modestly
leading their partners to execute the new moves that they had learned during
the week.

The usual practice consisted in learning some new steps or figures but lots
of walks and some corridas.

My father had a good friend who owned a dance studio, his name and that of
the Studio was
"Gaeta".  That studio taught all sorts of dances including tango, in great
part by mail, with descriptions and graphics that were sent all over the
world.  It had great economical success.  I wonder now how useful such a
program by mail may have been. :))

My main interest at the time, during my childhood was to collect the
thousands of post stamps that came to the studio from all over the world.

Some people from my neighborhood, very few, would learn from this type of
studio but generally speaking those were the worst dancers and they had the
characteristic of dancing the same way.

We have historical documentation of music and songs in magazines,
newspapers, radio programs, recordings, television and movies. Unfortunately
there are very few documents for the dance itself, they are mostly in very
old movies.

Summary Tango and other dances were   passed from generation to generation
within the family and the neighborhood. There were dance studios as well.

The big problem is that exists a period of a generation that ceased to dance
tango and broke the chain of teaching and learning.

Best regards, Sergio