[Tango-L] Discussion Topics

Jay Rabe jayrabe at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:36:47 EST 2006

From: rtara at maine.rr.com

No camera or note can tell you as much as your body memory.
------------------

My 2cents:

No argument with the statement. Agree completely. But there's more to the
actuality.

How many correct repetitions of a movement does it take before it is
embedded in your body memory? How often do you take a class and get enough
time to do enough repetitions that your body remembers it? How often have
you taken a class in which you were told to do things a particular way, and
maybe gotten that into your body memory to some degree, only to take the
next class from a different instructor and be told something condradictory?

A lot of people who've attended festivals here in Portland and elsewhere
have experienced that point of saturation, about the third day usually, when
you can't seem to remember details of the classes you took the first day.
There are a lot of reasons for that of course, not the least of which is
that tango instructors are notorious for teaching "their" brand of tango,
and while we sincerely admire and love them for sharing their unique soul
with us, the problem can arise that their techniques may flatly contradict
those of other instructors, leading to a lot of cognitive as well as body
memory confusion.

I've taken notes during classes, and I've videotaped class summaries, and I
find such devices helpful to remind me of details. But I wouldn't expect to
learn, or expect anyone else to learn, from just reading my notes. They are
just a mnemonic reminder. Then I can go back to the dancefloor and repeat
the movement the number of times needed to sink it into my body memory.

     J in Portland
     www.TangoMoments.com