[Tango-L] Milonguero is one style of close embrace styles.

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 23:51:47 EST 2006

Good Grief!  I've heard salon dancers claim what they did
was "authentic" and that other styles weren't.  I've heard
fantasia dancers claim what they did was "authentic" and
other styles weren't.

The story has been told over and over again.  The term
"milonguero style" was used to differentiate it from the
open-embrace tango being commonly taught.  We've heard over
and over again how people teach things that cannot be used
in crowded milongas.  The term arose as a reaction to that.
 It is only one style of close-embrace.  And when a class
is advertised as milonguero, it is pretty clear that you
won't be doing ganchos, single-axis turns, colgadas, or
volcadas (which are acceptable in other close-embrace
styles).

Whether one likes it or not, the label has stuck.  Does it
matter whether the term is commonly used in BsAs?  Not
really (though it's used in BsAs advertising).

To me, this is similar to the architectural terms of
"modern" and "postmodern", which describes designs back in
the 1920 or 1930's or something like that, not quite eras I
consider modern.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- El Mundo del Tango <mail at elmundodeltango.com> wrote:

> Nonsense. "Valid" may be to dance.
> But to call it "milonguero style" implies that that is
> what milongueros
> dance and that is a big fat lie, in Buenos Aires and
> everywhere else, now
> and fifty years ago. Milongueros dance all differently
> and they are all
> milongueros because milonguero is a social dancer.
> Shoin.Basta.Se acabó.
> These semantic dirty tricks are abused and these myths
> are perpetuated by
> limited, mediocre "one trick ponies"
> who wish to drag everybody else into the same mediocrity
> and to point to
> themselves as the "authentic, real thing", while
> dismissing everything else.
>
> Gabriel

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm