[Tango-L] Tango reflects society - introduction

TangoDC.com spatz at tangoDC.com
Tue May 30 15:37:13 EDT 2006

Well, let's take a moment to delve deeper than platitudes, and connect
these tautologies (i.e., men are male, women female) to something
approaching observations about the dance:

* The vocabulary of follower's moves was specifically developed to show
off a woman's legs

Really nice ochos give high heels a whole new raison d'etre, oui? We do
planeos and such, the way we do them, because part of the point is that
the woman's leg peeks out from under her skirt. This we call SEXY. Well
then, let us continue...

* The leader's role was specifically developed to show off a woman's legs

Men's trousers do not have slits. Not traditionally, anyway. When I put
aside my inventiveness and reduce myself to a tango caricature, there
are only two things that matter, besides the music:
    1. The illusion that I'm a suave-ass cat who can show off her legs
    2. Her legs

* When two women dance together, there is still a pair of female legs to
show off

I suspect this is why a woman leading doesn't seem as bizarre as a man
following, or at least points to why it happens more often. Simply:
There's still a sexy chick. I notice, however, that women do not lead
with anything close to the thrust-and-parry machismo that men typically
use. Women adapt the leader's role into something more feminine-- and
perhaps this accounts for the fancier footwork I've heard praised
universally by their female partners, both here on the list and in person.

Women, that is to say, have stolen our precious tango lead and changed
it into something new. Someone call the aesthetic police! Male vanity is
under attack!!

While we're filling out the burglary report, however, we might as well
report our own ingenuity missing. We have adapted, in comparison, Zilch
of the follower's part to suit ourselves. When two men dance together,
with very few exceptions, the one following merely plays at femininity:
you might see the old shoe-shine adornment done comically, or watch a
hiney shake. You might see faces meet in a tango stare, for a moment,
before they shatter into laughter. But whatever you see, you'll probably
see mockery.

I applaud this in sheer high spirits, on the one hand, and at such
moments I'm content with the tango being what it most often is.

* The tango is most often a shallow thrill

On the other hand, I'm kind of alarmed at our lack of resources: we
haven't figured out how to make following really express Masculinity. In
finding our inner muchacha, we lose our outer guapo. Drag and a pair of
fishnets might help some of us out, whereas a painted mustache and a
fedora would Not do anything for a leading woman.

I'm not ready to conclude, beyond all shadow of a doubt, that men have
not figured out how to follow in a manly way. I've seen performances
where nothing struck me as odd, and I've seen a few social dances that
I'd put in the same category. But on reflection, there is clearly a gap
between what we've done with the follower's part and what women have
done with the leader's.

If someone out there disputes this, I'd love to have any links you can
provide. I'm very curious to see what others have come up with, because
I'd love to be wrong about the following point, which so far is the
conclusion to which reason has led me:

* The tango requires at least one pair of women's legs

Jake Spatz
Washington, DC