[Tango-L] A brave man you are...

Scott Bennett scottb at smockonline.com
Fri May 26 18:18:54 EDT 2006

A good post Deby,....

The point is to be responsible for as a community for what's being created
here.

Yes, tango in the States is evolving differently than tango in Buenos Aires,
and it is perfectly understandable why it would be as is demonstrated on
this message board.

As Martin puts it....
    When in Pisa, do as the Pisans do -- lean with it.
    When in BsAs follow the local custom.
    In the US, follow the local custom of the community you are in.
    What's so difficult about that?
    Tango here in the US is not like it is in BsAs -- different country
    different cultural norms.
    No problem.

So consider that .... adding something to something also takes something
away from it.

As Deby reminds us...... Argentine elements such as the cabaceo, clearing
the dance floor during the cortina, not dancing the cortina, no same sex
dancing, etc. are fading fast from Milongas here in the States.  What do
these elements contribute to the experience of tango in Argentina.  What
gets lost when these elements are stricken here in the states?

Are we prepared to give up those things that make tango what it is in Buenos
Aires for what's getting created here?

Scott