[Tango-L] yale tango, male followers

rockies@comcast.net rockies at comcast.net
Fri May 26 17:47:26 EDT 2006

Martin said:
(snip other stuff)

  Incidentally,
> one of the most amazingly precise musicality nuevo performances I ever saw
> was Alex Krebs in DC dancing with a man, I forgot his name.

Normally I just lurk, but couldn't resist this thread. There is a video of Alex Performing with 'Evan' (no mention of last name) on his site -  go to www.tangoberretin.com and click on  'video of Alex and Evan' It is well worth watching.

For what it's worth, here in Portland, it is similar to NYC, very liberal, and nobody cares whether you dance with someone of the same gender, although it's much less common to see men with men. Also, the women leaders are probably some of the best dancers in the country. If you dance with them, you know it's true. The same probably holds true of women leaders elsewhere - certainly many of the best women teachers are outstanding leaders also. When I first started tango, I preferred not to dance with men, but have changed my thinking on that, as it's an excellent way to improve ones tango. If you can make a clunky male follower do things, it's bound to improve what you can do with a responsive follower. I also volunteer to be lead by the women leaders. Why not? I've danced with Alex on both sides of the frame, and he's fantastic at either, also, as a great leader, he had me doing things in following that I didn't even know I could do! It was amazing!, and every bit as satisfy!
 ing as
leading a good follower, just different. So, before anyone casts aspersions on it, if you're secure enough, try it, it can make a huge difference in your dancing.

Sadly, I'm orthopedically challenged right now, and not dancing... indefinitely. A tango addicts worst nightmare.

Ciao,

Randy Foo