[Tango-L] women leading

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Thu May 25 16:54:04 EDT 2006

Life  is a matter of choice, fate may be a hunter, but still we have choices.
 We can stay in a box, and memorize its  contents or we can step out from
time to time and enjoy an even bigger  world.  Lead and follow were words  chosen
to be gender neutral, so why should we ‘regenderize’ them, to coin a  word?

For  me, and it is for me, I love Tango because it gives me the opportunity
to  lead and share for a common experience.  However, for me never to follow,
IMO is selfish, as would limit my  ability to lead if I did not know the direct
effect of that lead.  At a Milonga, it is and I emphasis my  choice to lead,
I don’t think I would enjoy dancing as a follow (I am open to  change, but
that is my current opinion.)
Lessons  and Practicas are a different story. There the object is to learn
and improve,  to experiment, to experience and adapt.  There, the roles that
each take are strictly a matter of choice to what  each feels will help them
improve. Some stay in a box, some step out of the box.  It is choice.
At  milongas, again it is choice, whatever each is comfortable with, is what
they  should do.  For me, Tango is not a  furtherance of tradition as define
by a select few, but fun and enjoyment that  grows from a tradition, a
tradition if I have been reading my history correctly,  that has grown on change,
albeit slow at times, but never the less  change.
Just  some thoughts,
Bill  in Seattle

In a message dated 5/25/2006 1:28:26 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,