[Tango-L] what does Ricardo Vidort say about women dancing tango as a man?

Janis Kenyon jantango at feedback.net.ar
Wed May 24 22:33:51 EDT 2006

Sean wrote:
Women who lead are always near the top of my
"Want to dance with" list. Learning to lead helps them
become much more expressive followers, just as
learning to follow helps men to be much more attentive
leaders.

I am sorry that Ricardo Vidort is no longer here to tell you his opinion on
the subject.  Ricardo shared his thoughts with me about tango in January
2001, and I reviewed my video with him today.  I knew Ricardo for
several years in BsAs, danced with him in the milongas, and admired him for
expressing his opinion when it came to tango.  He didn't comment on the
subject of women learning to lead other than saying, "I don't believe that a
women should dance tango as a man" and said he would share his comments with
me at another time.   Ricardo didn't advocate women learning to lead in
order to teach.

I propose that every DJ in every milonga in the world pay tribute this week
to Ricardo Vidort by playing a tanda of Pedro Laurenz, his favorite
orchestra.