[Tango-L] dopamine or oxytocin?

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Tue May 23 11:38:37 EDT 2006

There is an interesting article in Feb Nat'l Geographic; "Love, The
Chemical Reaction".
http://www7.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0602/feature2/index.html

The caption for cover photo is "Courtship at a tango bar in
Argentina...", and the article is about studies on brain chemistry in
response to different kinds of love. I was particularly struck by the
statement, "Oxytocin is a hormone that promotes a feeling of connection,
bonding. It is released when we hug our....".

Wouldn't it be interesting to know what happens neurologically during an
embrace? During a really great tanda, or a "trance"? And how about the
difference between a milonga or a vals? Is it dopamine, seratonin, or
oxytocin? Maybe we would discover some new neurotransmitters! Tangomine?
Tangotonin?

Just ramblin'

Michael