[Tango-L] Language

Gary Barnes garybarn at OZEMAIL.COM.AU
Tue May 16 23:11:28 EDT 2006

On 15/05/2006, at 5:16 AM, Evan apparently wrote:

> Terms like energy already have EXACT meanings. Teachers should take
> the time
> to learn them, and learn them correctly.

This is not true.  Words do not have precise, universal meanings.

They may have a precise meaning within a particular context, eg
'energy' in physics.

But when an ordinary person on the street uses 'energy', they may mean
a number of things. They may mean something like the physic usage -
capacity to do work, or  they may mean something more akin to effort,
or focus. But sometimes, it is used on a different plane of meaning,
eg: 'Energy is a term used to describe variations in emotional and
physical stamina and motivation.'

The use of  rich, symbolic - but ambiguous - language in teaching
(non-engineering subjects) is a powerful tool, and does not depend on
precise meanings. The imagery _is_ the tool.

IF a teacher wants a word to have a particularly precise meaning, then
they must define it to their students.

For students who want precise meanings, it is important that the
teacher is able to define precisely those things which are important in
the class - but it is also vital that they are not drawn into a
semantic argument when it is irrelevant to the lesson. This requires
considerable strength of character from the teacher!

BTW I am a word fusspot, and I don't like words being misused. However,
languages are not made out of definitions, they are made out of usages.

For those of you who are driven mad by people using words in their
common senses, rather than a specific science definition - chill out,
and try to hear beyond the word to the concept. Or, find another
teacher, one who speaks your specific language well. But also try to
accept that to many other people, perhaps most, this use of language is
not an obstacle to learning, and may be an advantage.

Gary