[Tango-L] The Language of Dance-Energy

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Tue May 16 17:13:05 EDT 2006

"Energy" is a word that I have only recently started
to use when teaching (within the past year).  I use it
in the sense of connection or intention toward one's
partner.  Why just not use "connection" or
"intention".  Because I usually use "connection" in
relation to the embrace, and "intention" in relation
to posture and to lead/follow.

Like Michael from DC, I also talk about stored energy
versus kinetic energy, usually in reference to any
movement that requires a rotation of the spine (thus,
a boleo is a release of energy stored in the spine).

I only started using the word "energy" when we focused
more on the woman's contribution to the dance - not
just her following, but also her making suggestions or
accenting a movement that the man proposes.
Basically, when we started exploring "shared energy"
between the man and the woman.  It seems to be a term
that works well with women.  Perhaps because of the
different dynamics in how men and women relate to
others.

As others have mentioned, it is all about context.

Like Andy, I simply use the word "tension" when
referring to tension in the muscles.  We also
incorporate Alexander Technique in our teaching, and
that is the language that field uses.  It is also
perfectly clear to anyone.

My 2 cents,
Trini de Pittsburgh

http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg01283.html
> , or
> > (2)"tensing the muscles", or (3)a whole bunch of
> dictionary definitions.
> > I'd like to hear how others relate to the term
> "energy", and their
> > opinions on how it is used; what do they mean by
> it, or think others
> > mean.
> >
> I think tensing the muscles should be called just
> tension. It would be
> far less attracting than "energy" and people would
> learn to relax.
> There is a use of energy in dance which do not
> conflict with the
> physical meaning. It is the kinetic energy
> which is to be preserved in nuevo tango. For example
> the "energy" is
> what produces a boleo, not the deliberate force, or
> tension in the
> flying leg.
> There are dancers who produce a boleo without any
> previous stored
> energy, these are those who believe tension is
> energy.
> What they do should be called a fake-boleo or just
> adorno.
> > Best regards,
> >
> Andy Ungureanu

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm