[Tango-L] The Language of Dance-Energy

Andy Ungureanu andy.ungureanu at t-online.de
Mon May 15 17:41:49 EDT 2006

Michael Figart II schrieb:
> Right now I believe we have on the table my opinion
> http://pythia.uoregon.edu/~llynch/Tango-L/2006/msg01283.html , or
> (2)"tensing the muscles", or (3)a whole bunch of dictionary definitions.
> I'd like to hear how others relate to the term "energy", and their
> opinions on how it is used; what do they mean by it, or think others
> mean.

I think tensing the muscles should be called just tension. It would be
far less attracting than "energy" and people would learn to relax.
There is a use of energy in dance which do not conflict with the
physical meaning. It is the kinetic energy
which is to be preserved in nuevo tango. For example the "energy" is
what produces a boleo, not the deliberate force, or tension in the
flying leg.
There are dancers who produce a boleo without any previous stored
energy, these are those who believe tension is energy.
What they do should be called a fake-boleo or just adorno.
> Best regards,

Andy Ungureanu