[Tango-L] Self-Videotaping doing the Tango

Ed Loomis TangoBear at pobox.com
Fri May 12 14:03:55 EDT 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006 13:35:44 -0400, "Caroline Polack"
<runcarolinerun at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Last night in class, it came to me: videotape my partner and I dancing. I
>think it's probably the only way I can get my partner to understand what
>problems I was having with his leading and his footwork. And I am sure I
>would get some eye-opening education on my own dancing too.
>
>Has anyone done that before? videotaping themselves dancing in order to
>learn more about what needs to be worked on more?
>
>Caroline

Hi Caroline,
     A video camera is a powerful tool as you have guessed. Be prepared,
however, as the camera is brutally impartial. I am always amazed to see myself
doing things about which I definitely know better. A person who is prone to
denial will suffer intensely as that third eye, the camera, simply cannot lie:)
A large part of the value of private lessons is the observation of one's dancing
by an impartial observer. The camera allows you to view yourself through an
impartial eye. I should do it more often;-] Ciao...........
Ed