[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual - Where are the Engineers from?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Fri May 12 01:30:54 EDT 2006

One thing that hasn't been brought out is that
although tango is about connection, a student may not
be ready for that or only go so far in it, regardless
of their learning style.

We teach beginning classes in different venues - one
has more couples aged 40+ and one with grad students
aged under 30 (lots of them engineers).  We've found
that the older populace are inclined to the sensual
side, whereas the younger crowd likes the technical
side.  But I have also taught younger people that like
the sensual/kinesthetic side.  What is a little
different with the latter is that they seem to be more
mature and have experienced life a little more.

It took Sean & I about 6 years of tango to become more
than a collection of steps.  The change for us came
after we had to deal with a personal trauma (clinical
depression).  We have since noticed that others who
also had similar traumas took to close-embrace (which
I think is more touchy-feely than open) much much more
quickly than those who did not (based on others'
reactions to our trauma).  We can now appreciate the
saying that tango is "a sad thought danced".

It's just one more aspect to add to the mix that can
affect how one learns and one can teach.

Trini de Pittsburgh

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm