[Tango-L] Argentine tango is a matter of experience, not Technical vs Sen...

Mallpasso@aol.com Mallpasso at aol.com
Thu May 11 22:20:31 EDT 2006

Wrong, Derik:

The vast majority of Argentines don't tango and couldn't care less about
tango.

El Bandido de Tango

In a message dated 5/11/2006 19:15:25 Pacific Daylight Time,
rawsonweb at yahoo.com writes:
Dear Chris:

--- "Chris, UK" <tl2 at chrisjj.com> wrote:

"If almost any ***** in Bs As could dance tango, how
difficult can it be?"

I agree with you. The above statement is exactly
right.

Argentine Tango is not difficult at all, but few
people in the USA have been dancing tango since they
were 6 years old.  Many Argentines have been dancing
for twenty years to sixty years or more, speak
Argentine Spanish, and have lived in the culture for
most of their lives. These people really "know"
Argentine tango. US Americans, raised in Argentina
since they were 6 years old, also know tango, so one
does not have to be Argentine to know the dance.  One
does however need experiece.

US Americans who visit Argentina for a few months a
year and call themselves teachers, have a lot to
learn.  Tango is not difficult at all, but is does
require a wealth of experience.  Here in the USA, we
ain't got it, no matter how much we visit the country!

This is why I suggest people on this list become
"learners" and "promoters of teachers" more than
"teachers" themselves.  We should all perhaps
concentrate our energies on having lots of "neutral"
open milongas and practicas to get more general
dancing experience, and we should stop competing with
the Argentines as teachers. We should concentrate more
on listening to them and learning from them, and
getting them to come live here and show us the dance.
My opinion.

Derik (a native born US American who wants to learn..)
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com

Derik Rawson
d.rawson at rawsonweb.com
http://www.rawsonweb.com
713-522-0888 USA Landline Direct to Portable Cell Phone
281-754-4315 USA Landline Voice/Fax
d.rawson at cal.berkeley.edu
d.rawson at haas.alum.berkeley.edu
rawsonweb at yahoo.com