[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual - Where are the Engineers from?

Trini y Sean (PATangoS) patangos at yahoo.com
Thu May 11 16:36:17 EDT 2006

Anyone know of any studies linking long-term learning
and language?  Most of the responses about the
different ways of learning seemed to have focused on
the here-and-now, what is actually happening in class,
for example.  And I agree with their suggestions about
flexibility.

However, something a teacher said might not come into
one's understanding until a couple of months or years
after the class. In which case, language might be
necessary for one to processes the information.  In
other words, without language, could one successfully
analyze something regardless of how one's learning
process?

For example, when I teach, I may say something and
tell the student to just file it away for now.  It
might make more sense later when their motor skills
have adjusted.

Trini de Pittsburgh

--- Marisa Holmes <mariholmes at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Tine wrote:
>
> >   If you explain things with precision it is good
> > for everybody.
>
> No, it really isn't.  It's very good for people who
> learn that way.  It's very bad for people who do not
> -
> and it's incredibly bad for people for whom thinking
> about words interferes with their experience of
> movement.

Our Mission: To make Argentine Tango Pittsburgh's most popular social dance.
http://www.pitt.edu/~mcph/PATangoWeb.htm