[Tango-L] Technical vs Sensual - Where are the Engineers from?

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Thu May 11 13:16:30 EDT 2006

Again, the central position.   I can relate only to teaching  skiing (16
years) and will only comment about teaching and learning styles.  I have been
learning Tango for about two plus years.

First, a good teacher knows their students, which includes their
backgrounds, other interests etc. (this takes time and can't be done in one  class, too
much time)
Second, a good teacher adapts their teaching methods to the their client
base and the learning styles of that base.
Three, a good teacher can teach privates to a group (size of group will
definitely affect the how).

This comes over time. It took me 5 years of teaching to understand these
principles. Much was by trial and error. It was not that I taught poorly IMHO
during those first years, but I was not getting through to the maximum. Largely
because I would have a plan for a particular class and I would stick to it. I
 was teaching the plan, I was not totally understanding the student and the
student's needs.

The breakthrough occurred when during my first class of one year [I teach 2
hour classes, once a week for eight weeks and they are the same group], I gave
7  or 8 different explanations for the same skill set I was trying to instill
 in my class.  I did not tell them anything other than I was going to feed
them a lot of information and it was unlikely they would remember it all of it
nor was it important that they remembered it all.  What was important was
that at the end of class I asked each what ONE point they remembered.   Their
answer gave me their learning style, that gave me the insight  I  needed to feed
information to them that from which they would be able to process  and
progress.  Over the years, I have learned there are at least three  different
learning styles in each class. So I adapt my lesson plan to those  styles and to the
individuals.

The nice thing is that some are visual learners, some are technically
oriented and if you are successful with the techies, their improvement will help
the visual learner's.  I think others have presented the learning styles  were
nicely so I won't rehash them.

The major difference with Tango lessons from skiing is, you have couples
with different learning styles that learn together and you have a larger group
to deal with. So it is best to assume that you will have all learning styles
and  you should look for the couple of dominant styles in the group.

The key is make it fun and to do this good teachers adapt.  I would  like to
add, I did not take any of the comments on teaching ( dealing with  engineers)
as being exclusive methods of teaching only a way of dealing with  that
learning style.

Just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 5/11/2006 9:27:05 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,