[Tango-L] Looking for demo advice

Jeff Gaynor jjg at jqhome.net
Wed May 10 12:29:09 EDT 2006

Listeros,

By an extremely weird confluence of events, I might have to give a short
tango demo. Now, I've not been dancing that long and the context is that
this is part of a documentary about me in which they want to show I
dance. I therefore won't be expected to dance like a pro (*phew*). I do
however need to figure out something that will look nice, stylish and
tasteful since this will probably get some national US coverage. So,
drawing upon your vast experience and refined sensiblities, what do you
suggest for

* music (I gravitate to older classics, not sure if those will work)
* movements to avoid (e.g., too gaudy, or just can't be seen by an audience)
* movements to include. Any simple figure that look good but I am
unlikely to screw up?
* general suggestions for costume or any of those other particulars of
staging I'm completely cluesless about?

I'm not sure what the timeframe is on this, but I just found out about
it and might have to have something thrown together inside of 3 weeks.
One other little topic is that the filming location is not set as yet
(Chicago or New York have been mentioned). If it is local to me I might
be able to do it with one of my regular partners but otherwise, I might
have to try to find someone nice who wouldn't mind some media coverage.
This would require a demo that can be done in very short order indeed
and with limited practice. I'm thinking that we might have to engage a
professional. Thoughts?

In any case, I'm trying to wrap my head around this and would appreciate
any information you'd care to give.

Thanks!

Jeff