[Tango-L] Energy -- Grabbing the Floor.

Michael Figart II michaelfigart at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 05:55:21 EDT 2006

"Energy" is not tensing the muscles. The way I look at
it, the term "energy" is generally used in reference
to a highly focused connection. I try to focus all my
energy through our connection into my partner's
"center", or "nexus" (my term), which I envision as a
point roughly 2 inches behind the sternum. The actual
direction of the movement can be anywhere, or nowhere,
but the more two dancers can focus their intention and
concentration (energy) on their partner's center, the
better the communication.
While muscles must of course be used in dancing, the
more relaxed the better. The unnecessary tension of
muscles dampens the ability to communicate, and is
unpleasant to your partner.

Grabbing the floor? I missed the context in which it
was used originally, but is this not the same as "into
the floor"? I'll never forget a famous teacher on her
hands and knees trying to "will" her feel for the
floor into my feet. A leader should feel "planted";
actually into it, under the surface of the floor, part
of the floor. Toes should never be curled. Feet should
be relaxed, made as big as possible, as much contact
as possible; the goal is ultra-stability. I envision a
hobbit; short creature with stumpy legs and big bare
feet (hobbits don't wear shoes). Just try to knock a
hobbit over!The concept is same for followers, but to
a slightly less extent, as they must remain a bit more
nimbly responsive.

Just my thoughts,

Michael Figart II
Houston Texas