[Tango-L] 3 stages of growth in Tango

Leonardo Kunkello leonardok at mac.com
Tue May 9 11:36:31 EDT 2006

Just as in life. I have observed there are at least 3 stages of
growth in Tango.

The Baby is open to learning with wide eyed anticipation. Experience
can generally extend up to 1 or 2 years. (year estimates on based on
maturity of individuals coupled with amount of instruction and
practice time)

The Adolescent, insecure, claiming to know it all, expressing “my way
is the only way”, “adults are stupid or out of touch.” Adolescents
mostly think that their information is the truth (not realizing it is
limited) and everyone must agree and comply. Not just content with
promoting their own choices but must also try to discredit another
individual’s preferences. Experience can generally be from a few
months to six or seven years.

The Adult, secure, never claiming to know all there is (recognizing
that knowledge is a continuing process and the more you know the more
you realize there is more to know.)  An adult knows that most
circumstances call for versatility. Experience generally is from
three years to before death.

We have a lot of adolescents, at least in the US (many who also can
be fine and proficient leaders and followers), who are tempting to
teach and influence others. They hold a dogmatic view in their
approach to tango expecting all others to fall into line with what
they have been taught and what is working for them personally at the
time. Many an argument begins here on Tango-L because someone of
limited experience is anxious and rushes to become respected in the
tango community by expounding their knowledge not knowing that they
are actually showing themselves to the adults to be of limited scope
in the understanding of tango. When failing to convince, some
adolescent speakers also resort to personal attacks.

An adult realizes that what works for one person may not work for
another and respects every ones preference or choice of style. And I
believe adults should feel no quilt when avoiding adolescent teachers.

I came to tango because it is a dance of improvisation where I can
express myself in dance without fear of condemnation or criticisms.
Unfortunately I don’t see many areas in the US where there is such an
environment. The only thing I can do is enjoy my tango and ignore the
limited minds. “What you think of me is none of my business.”

Many localities in the US are still in the adolescent stages. This I
believe explains the tensions and divisions in tango communities. The
dogmatic views of a few can ruin the experience for many. Why do
people like going to Buenos Aires? Because, simply said, it is a
community of mostly adults.

May your tango continue to prosper,
Leonardo K.