[Tango-L] Axis vs. Balance

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Mon May 8 16:10:16 EDT 2006

At the risk of over analyzing, I think we need to agree on some basic
definitions. I will posit the following with the knowledge there are exceptions  and
expansions but IMHO are at best marginally useful to this thread.

Axis: Is a vertical imaginary line running through the  dancer's Center of
Mass and is perpendicular to a point on the floor at any  instant of time.
(dynamic or stationary)

Balance: Is the ability of the dancer to maintain their  center of mass over
that point on the floor without assistance from another  dancer or object.

Shared Axis or Shared Balance: When the dancers become  dependent on each
other or the other they create a common center of mass for  themselves. When this
occurs we no longer worry about individual axis but  move on and around the
shared axis.

I recognize that this may not be the basics as outlined in the depths of
science, but I think it is close, IMHO.

Just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 5/8/2006 11:59:01 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,