[Tango-L] compression in close embrace

Melanie Eskoff melanieeskoff at austin.rr.com
Sat May 6 12:38:46 EDT 2006

Evan,

Thanks for bringing this up.  It's been on my mind lately.  I was having a private conversaton with Steve Rice about dancing in close embrace with a very "long line" of contact.  Visually, it  seems to go from sternum to knees.  He mentioned you, along with Clay as teachers whom he respects and who taught him this technique.  I am aware that both of you can dance with or without compression.  I personally like both.  In what I'll call salon/close, I am absolutely on my own balance, with the forward inclination over the balls of my feet and the tone of my entire body creating a connection.  How do you create connection when you're  in contact with your partner so far down the body which to my eyes requires less forward inclination?

Thanks,
ME