[Tango-L] Is it important to know Spanish if you dance tango?

Duende de Tango duendedetango at mac.com
Fri May 5 17:56:09 EDT 2006

Most of the students of Tango here that I know,
all seem to know Spanish! It may have helped
bring them into the studio in the first place.

I have lived in a Spanish speaking country and
speak, read and write, but my conversational
skills are from equal to my English.

Since a lot of Tango vocabulary is in Spanish, it
is helpful for me to understand - but certainly
not necessary to be somewhat conversant in
Spanish.

I actually studied the Tango in a Spanish
speaking country - totally taught in Spanish.
Good practice for both tango and Spanish.

For me, knowing foreign languages helps open the
door to understanding the culture. But after
being around people of so many cultures for so
many years, there is always a difference in how
one perceives things around them.

Knowing Spanish for Argentina is great, and may
help open the door, but it is still far from
really embracing the cultural values. That is the
toughest part.

>On 5/5/06, Janis Kenyon <jantango at feedback.net.ar> wrote:
>
>>  I think of all the things I would be missing if I couldn't understand
>>  Spanish--all those fascinating conversations with milongueros about their
>>  lives, the beautifuly lyrics of tangos, and the rich history of tango and
>>  the milongas.
>>
>>  Is it important to know Spanish if you dance tango?  I believe so,
>>  especially if you plan to visit Buenos Aires.  If you don't know the
>>  language, you miss the culture.
>
>Whereas it is not essential to know Spanish to dance tango, I believe
>one's understanding of tango increases substantially with an
>understanding of Spanish.
>
>My knowledge of Spanish is far from perfect, deficent in fact
>according to my own standards. I can have a private lesson with an
>Argentine instructor who does not speak English and understand and
>communicate what is important (probably missing important nuances),
>but listening to tango lyrics is usually challenging. This issue came
>up on another list regarding selecting 'romantic' tangos as a DJ. What
>sounds 'romantic' may actually be about a horse race, or drinking, or
>homesickness, and not about romantic love. I've been thinking that
>perhaps the lyrics of tangos in a tanda should, at the very least, not
>be discordant, so I've been paying more attention to them but, alas,
>there is a limit if you are not a native speaker.
>
>I suspect knowing Lunfardo in addition to knowing Spanish would help.
>
>Visiting Buenos Aires and seeing tango within the culture of its
>origin also helps one understand tango. To do this effectively, one
>needs to know Spanish. There's no point to going to BA to be led
>around by a tour guide taking you to tourist traps and classes for
>foreignors. You have to go to the milongas where the porten~os dance
>and interact with them. Otherwise, you're not going to understand how
>porten~os feel about tango (whether they are milongueros or cab
>drivers - avoiding the term 'taxi driver' here, or the shop
>salespeople). I get a free ride because my wife is a native speaker of
>Spanish and I eavesdrop on her conversations.
>
>So, I think every serious tanguero should get as fluent as possible in
>Spanish, go to Buenos Aires, attend the milongas where locals go, and
>talk to the people.
>
>Even then, we will still be as blind men describing the elephant, but
>at least we've touched the creature.
>
>Ron

Costa rica

©2004, por Duende de Tango, viviendo en el paraíso,
todos de los derechos reservados del mundo

Rich coast,
of flowers and dreams,
dancing nights,
and candle lights.