[Tango-L] Is it important to know Spanish if you dance tango?

Lucia curvasreales at yahoo.com.ar
Fri May 5 12:20:52 EDT 2006

Janis,

  We do not really listen to the lyrics when we dance, we know and  cherish them. The sung tangos are so much more mellow, have an  atmosphere of their own - it is altogeteher another experience to dance  them.

  Lucia

Janis Kenyon <jantango at feedback.net.ar> escribió:  A recent article in La Nacion reported that Spanish classes are booming in
the United States, where there is a growing interest to learn the language.
The Mexican-American Cultural Institute says that the demand for Spanish
courses has doubled in the past decade.  The reasons: the constant growth of
the hispanic population that brings with it the demand for goods, services,
shows and as much information in Spanish as in English, and the increasing
interest in travel and business in other countries.

The 2000 census determined that 12.5% of the population in the U.S. is
hispanic.  Only 9.3% of Americans speak two languages compared with 52.7%
Europeans.  This year the U.S. government proposed investing more than 100
million dollars in programs to expand foreign language programs in public
schools.
____________

I studied Spanish in high school, but had no daily practice with the
language until I moved to Buenos Aires.  It took me about three years to
feel comfortable with everyday conversation, the most difficult part of a
second language.  I don't speak it perfectly, but I can communicate with
others.  I appreciate friends who correct me so I can improve.

I think of all the things I would be missing if I couldn't understand
Spanish--all those fascinating conversations with milongueros about their
lives, the beautifuly lyrics of tangos, and the rich history of tango and
the milongas.

Is it important to know Spanish if you dance tango?  I believe so,
especially if you plan to visit Buenos Aires.  If you don't know the
language, you miss the culture.