[Tango-L] leading w/fingers on back

Euroking@aol.com Euroking at aol.com
Thu May 4 19:41:12 EDT 2006

Being on the novice side of the learning curve, and totally accepting that
there are no absolutes (except for this statement) I am finding this thread
interesting.

I have been taught and I primarily dance Salon Open is that you lead with
your chest/axis. In fact have seen it demonstrated that a good follow does need
to be touched by a good lead to be able to dance 99% of available figures.
Now the issue is I have to put this in practice.

On this premise, I see the use of the hand or arm for two principle
purposes: First, for safety, to protect your partner from harm, i.e. to  prevent
him/her from being run into or you running her into someone that you  didn't see or
who moved into your LOD unexpectedly.  The second,  purpose is to move your
partner in a direction that she would not intuitively  expect to go. This was
introduced to me at a workshop and sorry, I can't  remember the figure or the
step, but I do remember being told to use, and as  Tine indicated the flat hand
to guide your follow in the direction you wish her  to go.

With that said, anything that works and is acceptable to both dancers is
probable ok. I just have been taught to be a quiet and subtle as possible while
dance and that is the direction I am attempting to go.

Just some thoughts,

Bill in Seattle

In a message dated 5/4/2006 3:29:14 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,